Liability for business torts can be severe; some circumstances involve not only significant financial exposure, but oftentimes, injunctive relief. Oftentimes, these disputes are hotly contested and factually-intensive matters, the outcome of which could make—or break—a business.
Commonly recognized business torts include:
- Negligent misrepresentation
- Tortious interference with business relations
- Tortious interference with prospective business relations
- Breach of fiduciary duty
- Theft of trade secrets
- Common law fraud
- Tortious interference with contracts
- Violations of covenants not to compete
- Shareholder oppression
These claims are usually accompanied by demands for injunctive relief, such as a temporary restraining order or temporary injunction. This occurs at an accelerated pace and requires immediate, strategic, and tactical analysis from a litigation lawyer.