Business Litigation In New Mexico
Commercial Litigation in Santa Fe
Commercial enterprises face a number of challenges that they must address in order to protect their interests and stay competitive. For example, intellectual property matters may threaten the exclusivity and profitability of a business. Unfair or deceptive trade practices could cause similarly harmful consequences. It is important to identify and deal with these situations quickly and decisively in order to preserve a business and its future success.
While some matters may be resolved outside of court, commercial litigation is sometimes the only option. Slate Stern has extensive experience litigating all types of business-related matters for both plaintiffs and defendants. If you are seeking a reputable, results-oriented law firm for assistance with a business dispute, contact Slate Stern Law today to learn more about how you can benefit from our proven advocacy.
New Mexico Commercial Litigation Lawyers in Santa Fe
Commercial litigation is a broad area of the law that involves a wide variety of commercial or business disputes and related matters affecting sole proprietorships, partnerships, limited liability companies (LLCs), corporations, and other types of businesses in New Mexico. When you are dealing with a business law issue, it is critical to have an experienced Santa Fe commercial litigation attorney on your side who can represent your business and seek a beneficial resolution. The dedicated advocates at Slate Stern Law have been assisting companies in New Mexico for years and are here to discuss any legal issue involving commercial litigation.
What is Commercial Litigation?
For newer business owners or those that have not yet been involved in a legal dispute with another business, understanding the different terms used to describe business law matters can be complicated. The term “commercial law” broadly applies to any type of legal service for a business that can aid or represent the company as it engages in business and provides services or products to clients and customers. Litigation is a legal term that refers to any process for handling a dispute through court. Litigation is not limited to business disputes, but it can easily arise in the business setting.
Commercial litigation is a general term that is used to describe almost any kind of dispute that arises in a business context, ranging from partnership disputes to business torts and breach of contract claims. In some cases, commercial litigation can also involve disputes that need to be taken to federal court, such as particular RICO claims, as well as disputes that result in class action lawsuits or multi-district litigation (MDL).
Common Types of New Mexico Business Litigation Matters We Handle
At Slate Stern Law, we assist clients with many different areas of commercial litigation, including but not limited to:
- Business disputes;
- Partnership disputes;
- Shareholder disputes;
- Business fraud;
- Breach of contract claims;
- Interference with prospective contracts;
- Breach of fiduciary duty;
- Business torts;
- Tortious interference;
- Trade secret infringement or misappropriation;
- Unfair competition; and
- Violations of the New Mexico Uniform Unfair Trade Practices Act.
Our firm recognizes that commercial litigation matters can vary greatly depending upon the type and size of the businesses involved in the dispute, and we tailor our strategies to the specific needs of the business we are representing. Our commercial litigation lawyers can assess your case today and provide you with more information about strategies that may be applicable to you.
Alternatives to Litigation When You Have a Business Dispute
While commercial litigation matters can end up in court, it is important to know that commercial litigation also involves strategies for resolving a dispute without going through an entire court case. Depending upon the circumstances of the case, it may be possible to consider alternatives to litigation with assistance from your lawyer. To be sure, one of the important roles of a commercial litigation lawyer is to assist businesses with strategies for avoiding litigation and resolving the dispute. Potential alternatives include but are not limited to:
- Settlement through negotiation: Your commercial litigation lawyer may be able to negotiate with the other party to reach a settlement agreement.
- Arbitration: This is one form of alternative dispute resolution (ADR) in which the parties present their cases before a neutral third party known as an arbitrator, and the arbitrator makes a ruling on the dispute. In many situations, an arbitration decision is binding, and if one of the parties is unhappy with the outcome, they do not have an option to appeal to a court. However, arbitration can save time and money in the long run when there is an existing business dispute.
- Mediation: Mediation is another form of ADR, but unlike arbitration, mediation is not binding, and the parties do not present their cases. Instead, the disputing parties meet with a neutral third party known as a mediator, who facilitates dialogue and exchange between the parties to help them reach an agreement. If the parties can reach an agreement, they can choose to enter into a binding agreement. Otherwise, the case can continue to court.
Contact Our New Mexico Commercial Litigation Attorneys Today
If you need assistance handling a business dispute and filing a civil claim against another business or entity, or if your business is facing a civil lawsuit, it is time to seek advice from a dedicated New Mexico Commercial Litigation Lawyer who can assist with your case. The experienced attorneys at Slate Stern Law can evaluate your case and discuss your options with you today. Contact Slate Stern Law to learn more about the services we provide to businesses in Santa Fe and throughout New Mexico.