Slate is a skilled advocate and orator with almost three decades of experience in a breadth of legal disciplines and business ventures. He has a unique combination of training and experience in personal injury cases, business litigation, and legal transactions in both federal and state courts. He is recognized for his honor, integrity, and loyalty and is an articulate, persuasive, and seasoned negotiator.
Originally from Texas, Slate Stern obtained his undergraduate degree in English at the University of Texas – Austin. Before attending law school, Slate enlisted in the United States Marine Corps Reserve and establish what started as a two employee equipment leasing company that grew into a successful nationwide equipment leasing company.
Besides practicing law, Slate Stern has undertaken enduring physical challenges including climbing Mt. Everest, pulling a sled from Siberia to the North Pole, and competing in the Ironman Competition (2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run). Slate brings the same endurance and tenacity to his legal practice, as he does his physical challenges. Slate also has a keen interest in learning and education. Almost a decade after completing law school, he obtained a Master of Arts degree in the Great Books program at St. John’s College. More recently, Slate has developed a interest in neuroscience advancements and how such advancements may be used to influence the complexities of litigation.
Slate volunteers his time for various nonprofits. He served as a Board Member for the New Mexico Academy of Mathematics and Science and for almost 15 years authored opinions for the State Bar Ethics Committee. He presently serves on the Board of the New Mexico School for the Arts Foundation and had formerly served as its Vice Chair for six years. Currently, he serves as Assistant Disciplinary Counsel to the New Mexico Supreme Court’s Disciplinary Committee and as a hearing officer for the New Mexico Medical Board.
Accolades and Affiliations
- New Mexico, 1994
- U.S. District Court, District of New Mexico, 1994
- Hawaii, 2014
- U.S. District Court, District of Hawaii, 2014
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Association for Justice, Member
- New Mexico Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- Santa Fe Bar Association, Member
- Trial Lawyers College
- Keenan Trial Institute
- Super Lawyers, Nominated Top 5% of lawyers in New Mexico
- AV Rated, Martindale Hubbell
- Chalice Award for Recognition of Outstanding Service & Leadership, New Mexico School for the Arts
- The Rules Are Changing: When Should You Consider Establishing A Medicare Set-Aside Fund in a Liability Case, The Journal of the New Mexico Trial Lawyer’s Foundation, Vol XLVIII No. 5
- It All Started With This Voicemail, “The Warrior” – Journal of The Trial Lawyer’s College
- Various opinions for the New Mexico State Bar Ethics Committee